Candlelites

Everything from Everywhere

sabatini - Search

sabatini Searched between all the resources and sites across the web. To view the full text news click on the links searched. All links are displayed with the source site.



inspectors’ demand that extension cord be removed may have led to fatal oakland


oakland — three days before a candle likely ignited a oakland apartment house blaze that killed four people, inspectors ordered a dangerous extension cord removed from the same room where the fire started.the news, revealed in an interview tuesday with oakland assistant fire marshal maria sabatini, raises the possibility that a resident of the second-floor room was using a candle because electricity was no longer available.“that might have been the case,” sabatini said. that question, and whether the extension cord feeding electricity from elsewhere in the building had actually been disconnected, will probably be part of the ongoing investigation into the fire, she said.sabatini was a fire department arson investigator before she was brought over to the fire prevention bureau starting jan.






mayor orders complete fire inspection overhaul


oakland — in early january, almost three months before a fire ripped through a west oakland affordable housing building, killing four people, firefighters recommended shuttering the entire place due to numerous life safety hazards but the city’s fire marshal and civilian inspectors chose a slower approach, according to emails obtained by this news organization.city officials had said firefighters first referred the dangerous conditions at 2551 san pablo ave. to inspectors on feb. 25, but emails obtained through a public records request show that firefighters were already warning of major violations in early january. after responding to a medical call at the building on jan. 8, engine company 15 found “open piles of garbage” on the third floor and saw that fire alarm pull boxes had been act






oakland fire captain warned of dangerous building in january


oakland, calif. — an oakland fire captain recommended in january that a building that burned this week, killing four people, should be shut down immediately for safety reasons, but department officials opted to take less drastic measures, records released friday show.in an email dated jan. 8 and titled "fire safety hazard," fire captain richard chew reported that a fire alarm had been pulled and not reset and there were open piles of garbage on the third floor of the building and a padlock on the door to the fire escape.he recommended officials consider shutting the building down immediately "due to the danger to life safety."the records show battalion chief geoff hunter ordered chew to cut the padlock and other officials to contact the building's owner to fix the alarm and remove trash.ac






mayor orders complete fire inspection overhaul


oakland — in early january, almost three months before a fire ripped through a west oakland affordable housing building, killing four people, firefighters recommended shuttering the entire place due to numerous life safety hazards to the city’s fire marshal and civilian inspectors.city officials had said firefighters first referred the dangerous conditions to inspectors on feb. 25, but emails obtained through a public records request show that firefighters were already warning of major violations in early january. by february, firefighters were pleading with the fire marshal on how they could shut the building down.“this building is dangerous!” oakland fire lt. steve padgett exclaimed in a feb. 25 email to fire marshal miguel trujillo, assistant fire marshal maria sabatini and other inspec






oakland fire captain warned of dangerous building in january


oakland, calif. — an oakland fire captain recommended in january that a building that burned this week and killed four people should be immediately shut down for safety reasons, but department officials opted to take less drastic measures, records released friday show.in an email dated jan. 8 and titled "fire safety hazard," fire captain richard chew reported that a fire alarm had been pulled and not reset and there were open piles of garbage on the third floor of the building and a padlock on the door to the fire escape.he recommended officials consider shutting the building down immediately "due to the danger to life safety."the records show battalion chief geoff hunter ordered chew to cut the padlock and other officials to contact the building's owner to fix the alarm and remove trash.a






calarts launches l.a.'s newest, nonconformist literary magazine


at times it seems that for every reader, there is born a literary magazine. there are venerated old guards such as harper’s and  the  new yorker, established university journals including prairie schooner and agni, and scores of online-only upstarts with names like animal and  the boiler. but with the sheer volume of literary magazines perpetually pushing past overload, and with, happily, no end to the new stories, essays and poetry being published in sight, how does anyone decide what to actually read?one approach: start local.this february calarts launched sublevel, a literary magazine at “the nexus of literature, poetics, art, criticism, philosophy, culture and politics” that deliberately shirks the separation of high and low. co-edited by los angeles writer and editor janice lee and 20






firms bumped as finalists for pot licenses fight for answers


annapolis, md. — two maryland companies say the state is wrongly refusing to explain why they were abruptly bumped off a list of 15 finalists to be licensed to grow medical marijuana in the state.green thumb industries and maryland cultivation and processing have asked a baltimore judge to decide whether the state is abusing the "deliberative process privilege," which allows internal deliberations among members of a state commission to be kept secret. istant attorney general heather nelson cited that rule in more than 80 objections to attorneys' questions during the january deposition of deborah miran — the only person on a maryland medical cannabis commission subcommittee who voted against replacing the two companies with others ranked lower.raquel guillory, a spokeswoman with the attorne






venezuela's vp shrugs off drug sanctions as us weighs policy


caracas, venezuela — venezuela's government condemned u.s. sanctions on the country's vice president, saying tuesday that the trump administration's designation of tareck el aissami as a major drug trafficker represented an unprecedented and "highly dangerous" infringement on the south american nation's sovereignty.in a series of defiant messages posted on social media, el aissami said the "miserable and defamatory aggression" only deepens his commitment to revolution started by the late hugo chavez and won't distract him from his job of rescuing venezuela's crashing economy from what he called sabotage by its conservative opponents."they'll never be able to defeat our unbreakable resolution to be free forever," el aissami said.on monday, the trump administration froze el aissami's u.s. as