Candlelites

Everything from Everywhere

dutoit steps down from royal orchestra amid sex allegations

dutoit steps down from royal orchestra amid sex allegations News Article With The full text news. The Resource Link is down the post and you can View this News Article in the source page.



dutoit steps down from royal orchestra amid sex allegations

san francisco — charles dutoit has stepped down as artistic director and principal conductor of the royal philharmonic orchestra following multiple allegations of sexual assault, the orchestra said wednesday.the renowned conductor's departure had been scheduled for october 2019, but the london-based orchestra said in a statement that his departure was effective immediately. the decision, made jointly with dutoit, followed an emergency board meeting and ongoing dialogue with the conductor, according to the statement.multiple symphonies distanced themselves from the 81-year-old dutoit after the associated press reported dec. 21 that three opera singers and a classical musician had accused him of sexually assaulting them between 1985 and 2010. his office has said there is no truth to the allegations."whilst mr. dutoit continues to seek legal counsel to defend himself, the protracted uncertainty and media reporting makes mr. dutoit's position with the orchestra untenable," the orchestra said.the women had said dutoit sexually attacked them on the sidelines of rehearsals and performances with orchestras in five cities — chicago, los angeles, minneapolis, philadelphia and saratoga springs, new york.in his earlier statement, dutoit said, "whilst informal physical contact is commonplace in the arts world as a mutual gesture of friendship, the serious accusations made involving coercion and forced physical contact have absolutely no basis in truth."none of the accusers filed...